can`t save tga without alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can`t save tga without alpha

hi there, i am working on an animation and want to save the images as uncompressed tga`s. now i face the problem, that i want to save the tga`s without alpha channel, and it seems to be impossible.
    i uncheck premult. alpha and split alpha, but in 8, 16, and 32 bit i always get the alpha mask within the image.
    tried it with png and tif and it worked without problems.
    known issue or am i missing something?

when saving, in the tga's image attributes, choose 24 bits-per-pixel (it's not the actual colour depth, it only means that you'll save three 8 bit channels) instead of 32. it will only store rgb without alpha. alternatively you can check alpha split, and the alpha will be saved to another file instead of being stored with the rgb output.

Comment

I watched a video quite a while ago and it said that targa files weren't the way to go that they were obsolete... I forget the video and the why though... wow guess this is a pointless post.

I think it was in a combustion color management video?

Is there a reason your using that format?

Comment

@rivoli: thanks for the explanation rivoli. still had problems until i checked the info in the vray messages that i get problems with the render output when i vray vfb is active. sice i deactivated it i get correct results.

@jer25: i am doing my first animation and read that i should use a fileformat without compression, lika tga.

Comment

We render most things to tga, they do the job fine if it's a simple one and you need to save space.

Why do you need the tga without an alpha? It doesnt delete it from the image like a png, it's just in another channel which you can ignore in any software which can open it.

Comment

Originally posted by max montana View Post
            still had problems until i checked the info in the vray messages that i get problems with the render output when i vray vfb is active. sice i deactivated it i get correct results.
            um, that's weird. what kind of problems did you have? you should be able to save tgas with or without alpha from vray's vfb as you do from max's.

Comment

Working...
            X